Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Safe and sound in Bunbury

I don't know how managed it, but I have arrived in Bunbury and am currently sitting behind my desk in my room. The last few days have been crazy! I tried to catch up with as many people as possible, while packing as much as possible. Socializing is so much more fun then packing, so a lot of the packing still had to be done this morning. I hoped to leave at 12 and I wasn't much off!

While I was driving out of Albany I realized that this was the second time I drove out of Albany with a fully loaded car, ready to face the unknown. Feb 2009 I was on my way to Armadale. Amy and Paul lived in Armadale at that time and they were the only people I knew. How times have changed!


Did you find my note Brendon? I didn't have time to dry the dishes.




For all the people who didn't believe I can fit heaps in my car - O you of little faith! :)


I had a pretty good trip to Bunbury, although I'm pretty sure I had 5 years taken off my life! There were heaps of trucks on the road today. At one stage I was about to overtake a road train. I had been behind it for a while and I could finally overtake it! Just as I went into the other lane the road train blew a tyre. Before I knew it, it was hailing big pieces of black rubber! I was still behind the road train and I could break just on time. Thankfully the road train could quickly pull over on the side of the road. I'm pretty sure my heart skipped about 3 beats!

I also finally understand why people from Albany can't stand the heat! It is nearly unbearable to come from the cool climate of Albany to the heat of Bunbury! Although it has been really nice weather in Albany the last few days, my body wasn't ready for the heat! I had nearly melted by the time I arrived in Bunbury.

When I arrived at uni I had to go to the office of the person who runs the student village. It only took about 10 minutes for him to give me the key and go through a few things, but I didn't really want to leave his office again. The airco felt so good! When I arrived at my unit I met one of the other students who lives her. Thankfully she lend me one her cups so that I could have a few cups of water before unpacking my car! I am sharing a unit with 3 other girls and 2 other guys. 2 of them are social work students, 1 is a nursing student and 2 are education students. I have only met 2 of the girls so far and they seem to be very nice!
After I had finally unpacked my car I had no energy left to do anything constructive so I went to get some takeaway and ate it at the beach, while watching the sunset. I'm pretty sure I can get used to this life style! The beach is just a few minutes away from uni (by car). After driving around I now know where all the fast-food places are, I only still need to figure out where the shops are.

When I arrived at uni I received a welcomes bag which had cuppa soup and a little box of cereal in it, so I won't have to starve tomorrow morning. So the plan for tomorrow is:
- to set my alarm for once,
- catch up with Gerwin at his workshop
- buy a parking permit (I've got my fingers crossed that I won't receive a fine tonight. I have written the security guy a really nice note saying that I haven't been able to buy a parking permit yet)
- buy the uni books I will need for this semester
- go to centrelink to demand money (they should have gotten back to me at the beginning of this week - O centrelink, how I love thou! (sigh)
- go for a very long swim
- go to Busselton for dinner, for Kim van der Lugt's birthday.

It should be another good day!









1 comment:

  1. Hoi Annette, impressive story, your brother sure does love you for leaving the drying of the dishes for him. Hope you can manage to look after yourself in Bunbury.
    Till next time, dad

    ReplyDelete